When you install a CCTV camera with your surveillance system, there are many different components that you can build your system with. Connectors are critical for joining these components together.
BNC connectors are Bayonet Neill-Concelman connectors. They are a type of RF connector that works on BNC cables. They can be used instead of RCA connectors with your CCTV cameras. They connect analog video components and they deliver a secure connection.
Supplies Needed to Connect a BNC Connector to a CCTV Camera
The first step is to collect the supplies you need to connect the BNC connector to your CCTV camera. You need to gather the following:
- BNC connector
- CCTV camera
- DC pin
- Copper wire for camera
- Wire cutter
- Wire tap
Connecting the CCTV Camera to the BNC Connector
Follow these steps to connect the CCTV camera to the BNC connector.
- Remove the white cover from the CCTV camera wire that you plan to connect, and remove the cover from the BNC connector.
- Under the cover, you will see four wires. The white wire is thicker than the other three. You need to remove the cover from this white wire. There are two wires under the second white cover. You will use these.
- Place the first wire in the BNC connector and tighten the screw.
- Press down the second wire and put the cover back on the BNC connector.
- You will have three wires left, but you only need two. The third is an extra that you can use if one of the others is broken or damaged.
- Take two wires and join the DC connector. This is the connector that gives power to your CCTV camera. Connect the wires from your DC connector to these wires.
- You will see that both of the connectors are ready.
- Take the connectors on your CCTV camera, and connect one with the DC connector and the other with the BNC connector.
Now your connection is ready.
The Advantage of Using a BNC Connector
One of the most common RF connectors used for CCTV cameras is the BNC connector. It is beneficial because it uses a bayonet fitting, which prevents it from being disconnected by accident if it is pulled or moved.
This type of connector is a constant impedance connector, so it maintains the same impedance the whole way across. As a result, it will have lower levels of loss than other types of connectors. It was originally made in the 1940s, and it was named this way because of its bayonet fitting. It was specifically named the Bayonet Neill Concelman for one of the designers.
They made it because they needed a high-quality connector that could be used in different applications, and it needed to be smaller than the connectors that were available at the time.
It is the most common connector used for CCTV security cameras and surveillance systems, and it connects coaxial cables to the cameras and equipment. It has a bayonet, which is the central pin, in the male connector and it guides the connection to the female connector. This makes it easy to make a quick and solid connection.
If you are hooking up a CCTV camera with your security system, you can use a BNC connector to set it up. Making the connection is a straightforward process, so you can follow the steps above to connect it.
These cables are solid and don’t lose quality, which makes them good for CCTV cameras. This is the most common connector used in this situation and people are able to make these connections on their own.